As reported by Reuters in 2007, “Galactic Suite”, the first hotel planned in space, expects to open for business in 2012 and would allow guests to travel around the world in 80 minutes.
Guests willing to shell out $4 million for a three-day stay, would see the sun rise 15 times a day and use Velcro suits to crawl around their pod rooms. At the time this article was first published, the space hotel’s backers estimated that there were 40,000 people in the world who could afford to stay at the hotel. For those of you interested, start saving now.
If it is just a view of the planet Earth you are after, it is probably cheaper to fly Virgin Galactic – the world’s first spaceline.
- Virgin Galactic is the world’s first spaceline. Giving you the groundbreaking opportunity to become one of the first ever non-professional astronauts. Virgin Galactic will own and operate its privately built spaceships, modelled on the remarkable, history-making SpaceShipOne.
- Virgin’s vast experience in aviation, adventure, luxury travel and cutting-edge design combined with the unique technology developed by Burt Rutan will ensure an unforgettable experience unlike any other available to mankind.
- With safety at the forefront, our unique spacecraft is being designed at Rutan’s base in Mojave, California alongside a concerted research and development programme.
- “The deal with Mojave Aerospace Ventures is just the start of what we believe will be a new era in the history of mankind, one day making the affordable exploration of space by human beings a real possibility.” Richard Branson.
- It is these spaceships that will allow affordable sub-orbital space tourism for the first time in the history of the universe.