On NASA’s Blog, in the Frequently Asked Questions section the issue “2012: Beginning of the End or Why the World Won’t End?” has received a lot of attention.
NASA’s view in summary…
Nothing bad will happen to the Earth in 2012
Our planet has been getting along just fine for more than 4 billion years, and credible scientists worldwide know of no threat associated with 2012.
Other questions, answered by NASA are:
- What is the origin of the prediction that the world will end in 2012?
- Does the Mayan calendar end in December 2012?
- Could a phenomena occur where planets align in a way that impacts Earth?
- Is there a planet or brown dwarf called Nibiru or Planet X or Eris that is approaching the Earth and threatening our planet with widespread destruction?
- What is the polar shift theory? Is it true that the earth’s crust does a 180-degree rotation around the core in a matter of days if not hours?
- Is the Earth in danger of being hit by a meteor in 2012?
…Today NASA astronomers are carrying out a survey called the Spaceguard Survey to find any large near-Earth asteroids long before they hit. … All this work is done openly with the discoveries posted every day on the NASA NEO Program Office website…
- How do NASA scientists feel about claims of pending doomsday?
- Is there a danger from giant solar storms predicted for 2012?
Visit NASA to read how it answers the above 2012 questions.
NASA refers readers to other websites for future information, such as:
- NASA Astrobiology Institute: “Nibiru and Doomsday 2012“
- Bad Astronomy: “The Planet X Saga: The Scientific Arguments in a Nutshell“
- Sky and Telescope Magazine: “2012: The Great Scare“
- Another good read on the NASA site is The Great 2012 Doomsday Scare